Our purpose in providing this information is twofold: first to get your attention and second to let the public know that the Windham Fire-Rescue Department has obtained another allotment of carbon monoxide detectors. The purpose of providing this article is to alert people to information about carbon monoxide (CO).
Carbon monoxide is produced from the burning of products, whether it might be wood or petroleum products. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas. It is also toxic and dangerous because you cannot smell it or taste it. The effect of the gas to humans or animals is that it may produce nausea, mild headaches, dizziness and disorientation.
Carbon monoxide accumulates in the body over time. The red blood cells in our body gather and hold the carbon monoxide molecules. The carbon monoxide blocks the red blood cells from gathering the oxygen molecules our body needs to live. The effect of carbon monoxide varies from person to person depending on their personal health conditions. Any effects increase as more carbon monoxide enters into the body. It may, with prolonged exposure, lead to the individual(s) becoming unconscious, followed by death. Every year more than 400 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning, more than 20,000 visit emergency rooms and more than 4,000 are hospitalized due to carbon monoxide poisoning. More information and details may be obtained by visiting the following websites: http://cdc.gov/co/faqs.htm, http://homesafe.com.coalert/detec.htm or http://wwwusfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pdf/fswy17.pdf
The detectors the Windham Fire-Rescue Department has are provided through a grant written by Lieutenant Anthony Favreau to the Narragansett Number One Foundation. Lowe’s Home Improvement Warehouse assisted with the purchases of the units. These are going to be given away free to Windham residents that do not have a detector currently. These will be provided on a first come, first served basis. They may be obtained at the Windham Public Safety Building, 375 Gray Road, Windham, Maine, beginning on Tuesday, March 12, 2013. The hours that a person may obtain one for their home is Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. You will be required to sign that you are receiving the carbon monoxide detector and provide information as to the address where it will be installed. You will also receive additional information about carbon monoxide in addition to the free carbon monoxide detector.