The men and women who defend the liberties and freedoms of the countries they represent hold a special place in people's hearts and an eternal spot in their countries' histories. Any opportunity is a good time to commemorate the bravery and selfless deeds of military personnel, but Veterans Day is an especially important time to thank veterans for their service.
The American Legion Field-Allen Post and Auxiliary Unit 148 will be doing their part again this year. They will be handing out the traditional Legion Poppy flower over this Veterans Day weekend at local area stores and the post office as a remembrance of all those veterans that did not return from the great conflicts. Although the poppies are free, the Legion will gladly accept donations to support the Legion’s Poppy Program. Funds raised are used to support veterans and their families as well as active duty service personnel and their families. Locally, the funds have been used to support homeless veterans as well as veteran's causes.
Many places around the world pause and remember fallen veterans on November 11, but a good majority of Veterans Day and Remembrance Day commemorative events focus on past and current veterans who are still alive. There are many ways to honor the military at home and abroad in time for the November festivities. In addition to donating to the American Legion this weekend, the following are just a handful of ways to show appreciation for military men and women.
· When dining out, ask your server if you can pay the tab for a soldier or veteran you see in the restaurant.
· Draft letters and send care packages to soldiers currently in service far away from home.
· Ask your company if Veterans Day can be an observed holiday at your place of business each year to pay homage to servicemen and women.
· Visit a military memorial in a city near you. Your town also may have its own memorial.
· Volunteer time at a veterans' hospital. You may be able to read with veterans or engage in other activities.
· Get involved with a military support charity that can provide much-needed funds to struggling families or disabled veterans.
· Have children speak with veterans in your family, including grandparents, uncles and aunts or even their own parents. It can help them gain perspective on the important roles the military plays.
· Support a local VFW organization.
· Create a scrapbook for a veteran in your life.
· Cheer for or thank military personnel each time you see them.
· Visit the veterans' portion of a nearby cemetery and place poppies or other flowers on the graves.
· Always keep the military on your mind and never forget those who have served and didn't return home.
Veterans Day are great ways to honor past and current military for their service and sacrifice.
If you’d like to make donation to the American Legion Poppy Program, send it to The American Legion Post 148, P.O. Box 1776, Windham, ME 04062.