Saturday, October 6, 2018

Public Service Announcement demonstrate benefits of residential sprinkler systems

By Lorraine Glowczak

The Windham Fire and Rescue Department provided a public service announcement in front of the Town Hall on Tuesday, October 2nd at 6:30 p.m. to educate the public on the importance of installing a residential sprinkler system. The event took place prior to the regularly scheduled Town Council Meeting and many of the Town Councilors were present.

Putting out a fire in the "room" without a sprinkler
The risk of fire is a serious matter in any structure but especially the home where love ones live and sleep. Every year, the majority of fire deaths happen at home. To show the benefits of installing a sprinkler system, the fire department provided a demonstration using two staged living rooms in a large trailer. The purpose was to illustrate how fast a fire can spread and how quickly it can be contained with proper sprinkler system installation.

A controlled fire was lit to the first “room” that did not contain a sprinkler. Within thirty minutes of the furniture catching fire, the flames had escalated to the point of being uncontrollable and was then put out by the Fire Department.

“On a typical call, once dispatched, it takes an average of seven minutes to respond to and arrive at the emergency location,” explained Fire Chief Brent Libby.

The second staged fire, the “room” with the sprinkler system, faired much better. The water from the system put out the fire without the help of fire department, demonstrating one of the best methods of home fire extermination.

National Fire Prevention week begins on October 7 and ends on October 13, 2018. Other safety measures you can take include having a home escape plan, ensuring smoke alarms are in working order by using the test button at least once a month and install one in every sleeping room, outside every sleeping area, and on every level of the home including the basement.

Additionally, be aware that cooking is one of the leading causes of home fires due to leaving the kitchen unattended while using the stove.  Another leading cause is heating equipment. Please remember that all heaters need space so keep anything that can burn at least 3-feet away from heating equipment.
For more info., contact the Windham Fire and Rescue officeat 207-892-1911 or visit <

No comments:

Post a Comment